Module 6: Citizenship
Citizenship requires the active participation of individuals in their communities, at national and at international levels. Citizenship education aims to ensure an open and fair society.
Students will examine a number of topics including:
- key concepts in citizenship, including knowledge, values and skills; democracy and participation;
- the relationships between individuals, community and society
- who counts as a citizen? Issues of democracy, identity, migration, nationalism, refugees and asylum seekers, minors
- the legal and moral responsibilities of citizenship
- what is global citizenship?
By the end of the module students will:
- be aware of different models of citizenship, struggles for citizenship status, key concepts
- be aware of a range of contemporary issues and international examples with regard to citizenship, for example concerning multiculturalism, nationalism and globalisation
- have begun to outline their own personal roles and responsibilities as a citizen
< Back to Modules